String Crochet Cushion
Design shops are filled with the lovely textures of chunky throws, cushions and home accessories but nothing beats making something yourself.
For an unusual and stylish touch for outdoor furniture how about something like this? A cushion made from, of all things, garden twine!
Twine, otherwise known as string is a fabulous 'yarn' to crochet and can be made into all sorts of things. It's a lot softer than you might imagine, and has wonderful 'natural' appeal.
You will need:
Garden twine ( available from hardware or garden supply stores)
No. 5.50mm crochet hook
Lining fabric – natural colour
Backing fabric – colour of choice
40cm zip – natural colour
45cm cushion insert
Cotton thread - natural colour
Abbreviations: ch: chain tr: treble
1. Using the string and crochet hook make 45ch.
2. In tr stitch, create 32 rows to form large square panel then fasten off the string
3. Cut a square of lining fabric approximately 45cm x 45cm and use the tapestry needle and a length of string to tack around the edges of the crocheted panel to join it securely to the fabric
4. Insert the zip into the backing fabric then, with right sides facing sew together to create the cushion
5. Trim the excess fabric from the edges and turn out the right way. Fill with the cushion insert